Sunday, September 11, 2016

Ack! Comics!

Let me start off by saying that except for reading a few Cathy comic strips found in newspapers when I was much younger, I am completely new to the world of comics.

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2010/08/12/cathy-to-utter-her-last-ack/

Reading McCloud’s Understanding Comics was an overwhelming experience.  I had never realized the complexity of comics or the amount of thought and work put into them. It is a lot to process and I found myself getting lost in his chapter of icons.  Did you know that there are different degrees of realism in simply drawing a face and that each degree of realism conveys a different connection and understanding to the material???  Neither did I!!!  Confusing right?!

Once I got through the initial barrage of pictures and words, the nuances of the art of comics started to become clear.  I was impressed by the amount of thought and detail that go into each page.  As explained in chapter three, the size of the box, the space or “gutter” between the boxes, and the shape of the boxes are all deliberate in conveying the artist’s message.  Who knew it was that complex?!  I merely thought boxes were used to separate each image so the reader wouldn't get confused.  I was also impressed by the mood that can be invoked with simple lines.  It is easy to convey emotions with words and you often get distracted by them, but to look closer at the drawings and feel the anger, sadness, or love coming from the artist is impressive.

I am a frequent watcher of the show The Big Bang Theory and for those unfamiliar with the show, most of the main characters are religious in their love of comic books.  A love that I had never fully understood.  However, I am beginning to understand why comics are so popular.  They are not merely images in little boxes with onomatopoeia splattered across.  Each stroke of the pen is deliberate. The degree of realism in the character versus the background is purposeful.  Whether a line is straight, curved, bold, or broken all have meaning in relation to the story and mood the artist is creating.  I don’t think I will look at comics the same.  I imagine there are varying degrees of comics and art within them but I am quite impressed with the field overall.  They truly are works of art.  Kudos to all the comic artists out there!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898266/mediaviewer/rm3293874432


Additional Source:
McCloud, Scott. Understanding Comics:. New York: Harper Perennial, 1994.18. Print.

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie, I commend you for recognizing the true art form that is the world of comics. Oftentimes, the images within the individual panels are glanced over when keeping pace with the text and overall flow of the narrative. However, an interesting concept was discussed in class today, stating that one should take the time to appropriately examine each image carefully. This method was how I was taught to read comics when I was younger. Although the thorough examination of comic artwork does take a long amount of time to read through the material, I have learned to develop a deep appreciation for the efforts and work that these artists create as a result. McCloud certainly makes the reader aware of the different implications that the minute details in the artwork can have on the overall effect of the story. Understanding the attention that artists place in specific features of their work may help to grow awareness for the masterpieces that comic book artists design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who also does not consider myself a "lover of comics" I also agree with a lot of your points. I never really understood the depth of meaning layered within comics and the importance of even simple lines. I like how you explained that "each stroke of the pen is deliberate." This is something that I've come to recognize in the art that I study and something I've learned to truly appreciate. Applying the same sort of concept to comics is entirely new for me and maintaining an open mind is proving difficult. But I think approaching comics as a form of art of which I am unfamiliar makes my understanding of them easier. Perhaps they will remain in the realm of "not my type" but I agree with you in that, through our readings and discussions, I'm starting to appreciate them more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, I am glad that reading McCloud gave you a different perspective on comics. I agree that the art is impressive, but I think the words and the plot is just as impressive. We discussed that each line, each frame, and everything within the drawing has purpose, but the words complete the entire work. I think we dismiss the words because we are so used to them. We read novels, articles, textbooks and other things all the time. However, in comics each word is carefully chosen to depict a certain feeling, thoughts, sounds, action and so on. Just think about how the word "KRONCH" gave meaning to the first Daredevil page we viewed in class.

    ReplyDelete