Monday, September 19, 2016

Astonishing Jean?

In the Astonishing X-Men issues one through three, I was shocked to see the leadership of Jean throughout the comic. This makes me wonder if there are subcategories of heroes. I would also argue the same for monsters. For now, I am focusing on the subcategories of heroes and specifically Jean’s standing in the hero category.

In my thoughts I would consider all of the X-Men heroes, but they are all different calibers of heroes. In the comic issues, Jean stuck out to me the most. She was the leader of the heroes and I would consider her the superhero of the group. She does everything in her power to help others, she is almost selfless to a fault. When the X-Men help Nina and the Mannites to protect them from the Death, she is willing to sacrifice herself in order for the Mannites to live long enough to “discover their powers and decide their own fate”.

Along with Jean’s selfless nature, she is the leader of the group throughout the comic issues. When an event arises or action needs to take place all of the characters look to Jean for instruction. For example in the third issue, Nate says “You call the shots, Jean”, Jean acts as the mission leader throughout the quest.

In class we’ve agreed that a superhero acts in a selfless manner and has some type of power that makes them superior to the average hero. As far as powers in the X-Men comics, telekinetic power is definitely the strongest of them all. Jean’s telekinetic energy makes her an obvious choice as a leader.

I feel like Jean’s role in the X-Men movies was underrated immensely. Why would such a central comic characters role be substantially diminished in the movie? Jean serves as the character that overshadows all of the characters to a character in the film that would show up everyone in a while. Does that make sense to anyone else? It sure doesn’t make sense to me!

[Joss Whedon (w) and John Cassaday (a).] Astonishing X-Men, Vol 1. "Gifted" #1-3. (Dec. 2012). [Marvel Comics].

2 comments:

  1. uh-oh ... I feel like something went awry. Jean wasn't actually in the comics we read for today. Where did you find the ones you read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh-oh ... I feel like something went awry. Jean wasn't actually in the comics we read for today. Where did you find the ones you read?

    ReplyDelete