Monday, October 24, 2016

Beowulf Revisited Half a Decade Later

My first and last encounter with Beowulf and Grendel was in my sophomore or junior year of high school. I remember enjoying the classic English epic poem, and appreciating the analysis and snark from John Gardener's take on the legend. Coming back to the text years later, I was unsure of what to expect. Could Beowulf hold up to my existing memories of it?

Not really, no.

Several issues rose up during my return to Beowulf. First, the poem was far more flowery and descriptive than I remembered. Prose can be beautiful if pulled off subtly and with enough skill, but Beowulf's overly-long descriptions drain any enthusiasm I have for getting the scene established. Not helping is the fact that I already knew of every twist and turn the story would take. I had avoided getting the book spoiled prior to my first reading of it. Today, though, I saw everything coming and plodded along.

The greatest problem I have with revisiting Beowulf is that there is little to no room for speculation and analysis. The way the story is written gives the characters very basic motivations for their actions. Unless you really stretch the material, you cannot theorize on much the story has to offer.

Because of the last issue in particular, this blog post will be shorter than usual. I still look back on the poem fondly, though. It has its merits, and should still be taught in English classes.

Side note - somehow, I still remember some parts of the comedy version of Beowulf my high school English teacher gave my class for April Fool's. Beowulf made a string of hand-related puns after defeating Grendel, called Unferth a poser, and was oddly specific on how many men he would take to assist the Danes.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, challenge accepted. Not much room for speculation or analysis? Let's get out of the shallow waters of plot and wade into the deep end of the poem. Stay tuned - we'll do this in class today! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with some of what you've said, Cameron. I am curious if you've found it easier to understand the second time around? I distinctly remember struggling through the text in High School and I feel that this time I am able to understand a lot more, especially all of the allusions and flowery detail. I also have to agree (on the surface) that sometimes I also have trouble finding the areas that require in-depth analysis/speculation. Maybe this was just a bedtime story for little medieval kids. But maybe not. If college (and this class in particular) has taught me anything, its that EVERYTHING can be given an in depth analysis. I spend hours at a time staring at marble statues and temple plans analyzing every last detail to understand the choices of the sculptor or architect from a thousands years ago. We just spent weeks tearing comics down to the nitty gritty details. I think its pretty hard to defend that you can't give an in-depth analysis of Beowulf but can have an intense dialogue about the inner workings of X-men. Beowulf isn't your cup of tea but that doesn't mean you can simply dismiss it either. I totally relate to your feelings though... I was just there!

    ReplyDelete