Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Grendel's Unfortunate Curse

I personally feel really bad for Grendel because he was destined to be the way he is. The fact that the way he looks is vaguely human shaped that is horrifically distorted and indestructible is a big part of why he is so feared. Although there is no excuse for all the Danish people he killed, it is almost like a he is some sort of reincarnation of the world sins rapped into one evil being. It seems like the humans in this poem are being punished for their sins. And from the beginning of Beowulf's arrival, Beowulf was looked up to as a powerful man, full of strength and confidence. Right away, Beowulf was established as everyone's savior capable of slaying Grendel and right when he did his image was transformed into a Godly figure. Beowulf was able to stun Grendel and make him feel the terrified feeling all the Danes have been feeling for 12 years.

I also don't really understand why there is such a big celebration for Beowulf's "accomplishment" because they don't really know if Grendel is actually dead. It makes it obvious to me that there is more to come in the poem. If I were the king I would still be worried about my people being in danger. I also really appreciated the Finnsburg episode within the poem which really emphasized the fact that vengeance equates to honor. It emphasized why Beowulf felt compelled to help the Danes. The concept of wyrd or fate  that was mentioned on page 129 really turned the excitement around to a haunting disaster waiting to come (" the cruel fate which would come to pass" Line 1234).

As Grendel's mother reeks havoc on the mead hall in vengeance of her son, I really admire Beowulf for his bravery to go after her. He was willing to die for the Danes and I think this is when I really started to like him. If I were Grendel's mother I would without a doubt go crazy on who ever hurt my son. The rage within her must have been monumental stemming from a sad mother. Both Grendel was cursed by his ancestor Cain but his mother was cursed even more for having he son be the one to carry Cains burden. Once Beowulf slays Grendel's mother and takes Grendel's head back to the Danes my biggest question is, why didn't we see Grendel die?

Source: Liuzza, R. M. Beowulf. Claremont: Broadview Editions, n.d. Print.


5 comments:

  1. I agree that it is strange that everyone celebrates (rather prematurely) following Beowulf's battle with Grendel. Do they feel certain that Grendel will quickly die, or that he will simply never return out of fear? Like we read in Cohen's "Monster Culture (Seven Theses)," the monster always comes back. Also, Grendel's mother desire for revenge seems entirely justified to me. Because of her lineage, she's a monster, so the Danes take away all her rights and privileges. I wonder if the Danes' reaction to Grendel's mother's revenge would have been different if she was not a descendant of Cain (and therefore not a "monster").

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is strange that everyone celebrates (rather prematurely) following Beowulf's battle with Grendel. Do they feel certain that Grendel will quickly die, or that he will simply never return out of fear? Like we read in Cohen's "Monster Culture (Seven Theses)," the monster always comes back. Also, Grendel's mother desire for revenge seems entirely justified to me. Because of her lineage, she's a monster, so the Danes take away all her rights and privileges. I wonder if the Danes' reaction to Grendel's mother's revenge would have been different if she was not a descendant of Cain (and therefore not a "monster").

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also feel bad for Grendel. Although I do feel like no one is “destined” to eat people … I do feel sympathy for him. He is ostracized from the beginning: whether it be for his looks or his family history, it doesn’t matter. Like anyone who is an outcast, Grendel does not tolerate those who outcast him – he is annoyed that they are having a good time in their mead hall, while he has nothing to enjoy. I am definitely not excusing him for his behavior as a result of this ostracizing, but I do feel if he was shown more compassion maybe he would have acted differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way the poem is delivered makes the reader sympathize with Grendel. As you said, Grendel in a way, did not have a chance at a normal life. He was cursed by his appearance. I think Grendel is like any other human internally, he is trying to meet his expectation in society as he is labeled. His label just so happens to be an "outsider".

    ReplyDelete