Monday, November 7, 2016

Chicken | Egg

So we have two-thirds of Frankenstein down, and one-third left to go. I feel like most people are familiar with the plot of the novel, in various degrees of depth, so I find it interesting to see how our familiarity with the narrative affects how we view and consider it. Warning: this post, argument-wise, might be a little inconsistent; I have a tendency to constantly debtate myself and I think it tends to show in class and in my blogs.

Frankenstein, as a novel, compels us to think outside our normal morals or ethics. Victor and his monster are the biggest examples of this - I feel sorry for Victor, but at the same time, I have to question why on earth he thought trying to make a person would be a good idea? He was so consumed with whether or not he could, he didn't really stop to think if he should. He loses loved ones, but he readily belives that it is, ultimately, his own fault - whether it is or isn't is up for us to decide. Either way, I feel that this is the number one lesson of Frankenstein, folks: know your limits.

I feel pity for Frankenstein's monster, which I think he would find irritating. He is a lot like Grendel, in a way - ugly, unloved (although Grendel had his mom) by men, excluded and shunned - yet I don't find myself feeling as sorry for him as I think I could? I don't know why, and I can't explain it - there's just something about him (maybe his entitlement?), and I can't quite put my finger on it.

FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER: 
SAME. We've all been there, right?

A big theme of Frankenstein is, overall, the idea of blame. Who is to blame for what happens? It's a complex question, and it has no easy answer. I would argue Frankenstein's monster is as much a victim of Victor as William and Justine are victims of the monster himself, but does that excuse his (the monster's) actions? His history might help explain him, but is it a reason for what he does? Does Frankenstein's monster ever stop being a victim of Frankenstein's machinations even when he takes revenge on him? Like I said: who is to blame? It's a variant of the eternal question: which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Another theme I've noticed in the book, and one I've not really thought through completely yet, is how trauma seems to perpetuate trauma. Where does that cycle end, and how did it start?

3 comments:

  1. I think your post sums up most themes in this book, but I never thought about the “know your limit” theme. But it is very true, it seems like Victor, like a lot of people, just want more and more. This never-ending desire for more is what gets us in trouble. We want more money, more power, more control, more of everything; we are never satisfied. I think in Frankenstein’s case he wants more friends, more recognition, more knowledge. And look what happened, he created this creature, this amazing scientific discovery… and it was not enough. He ran away from it and did not have the courage to stop it. We think that by getting more and more we are able to fix our problems. How many of us had thought “if I had more money I would be happy!” or “if I had more time I would be good!” and we believe this, but it may not be true. Once you get more of what you desire, you will then shift your attention to other problems; it is a cycle. Instead of more, maybe we need to fix our core problems first, and then we will realize that we do not need more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that Frankenstein's monster is a lot like Grendel, and even said it in class before I read your post (Sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder!). However, I do feel bad for him as I felt bad for Grendel. I feel like the monster doesn't really have a sense of entitlement (what part specifically are you talking about?), but instead just wants to fit into society which denies him acceptance based solely on looks. He is much like a child and thus reacts as such, and violently in some cases. But we can see that the monster is inherently good, at least starting out, when he was first created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JJ, I agree with your blog that one of the major themes of the text lies in who is to blame for the actions that take place within the story. However, why can't both characters be held responsible for what transpires? Clearly, Victor Frankenstein and his monster deserve much of the blame for the events within the book. For example, Victor Frankenstein avoids his connections to the monster that he created, leaving the creature to wreak havoc on the unsuspecting world. Meanwhile, shortly before killing Victor's brother, William, the monster says, "Child, I do not intend to hurt you" (pg. 113). However, the sequence of events which follows shows that the monster was aware of the pain he inflicted upon the Frankenstein family as a result of the murder. Undoubtedly, both characters display child-like behavior in their dealings, making quick decisions and hiding from the consequences. Taking ideas from our discussion on post-humanism, though, we need to be held accountable for our actions. Otherwise, justice would not be served. Although we may sympathize with the two characters, that feeling does not mean that the blame should be withheld from either individual.

    ReplyDelete