Sunday, November 6, 2016

It's All About Love

I didn't start to really appreciate Gris Grimly's art work until I read further after our first discussion on Frankenstein. The longer I stared at the drawings the more if the story came to life and it amazed me. I felt the emotion and sadness of Victor but also his monster's emotions though every detailed line on their faces. Victor never intended for so many things in his life to go crashing down because of him. But the moment that Justine died due to the actions of his monster, why didn't he try to kill the monster he created? I believe that he truly loved his creation. .

When Victor confronted his monster for being a murderer, his monster was quite convincing. The monster was so close to human that it was amazing how convincing the monster could be. He was able to make Victor think that if he were to kill him that he would also be a murderer. The monster says, "Listen to me Frankenstein. You accuse me of murder, and yet you would, with satisfied conscience, destroy your own creature." The monster was able to make Victor feel even more guilt for what he had done. For one, creating the monster in the first place. But also that he had never "felt what the duties of a creator towards his creature were." I thought it was interesting how chapter two turned so much anger into so much sadness in so few pages.

In chapter three I was surprised at how so many pages were solely drawings in continuation of the story. I loved that slowly the monster realized how much he just wanted to be loved. He did so much for Agatha and Felix but he knew he would never be accepted by them. What really broke my heart was when the monster said, "Cursed Creator! Why did you form a monster so hideous that even you turn from me in disgust." At this point in the story the monster can be seen as relate-able in that many people have felt like some sort of outcast in their lives or have felt alone. When he blind father meets the monster, it's perfect because he doesn't judge the monster for what he looks like but just talks to him like any other person. But once Felix sees him they just automatically assume he's bad.

In the monsters request for his creator to make him a female companion, I am excited  to read on to see what happens next. I have not read the book before so I truly hope the monster finds what he is looking for which I see is to just be loved and accepted. But also to be himself and not judged upon his looks. But seeing how much the monster has ruined Victor's life, Victor may come to the conclusion that making another monster probably wouldn't be for the best.

References:
 Grimly, Gris. Gris Grimly's Frankenstein. New York: Balzer & Bray, 2013. Print. 

1 comment:

  1. I think its really interesting that you feel frankenstien truly loves his monster. I dont know that I entirely agree but I think you've started in an interesting discussion. Does he love his monster or does he pity him? Does he see some similarities between himself and the monster and understand some of his struggles? How do we differentiate between love and pity? I think his realization that he has responsibilities for his monster as a creator is a huge revelation for Frankenstien. To me, I was blown away that he didnt know this from the start because as a woman I know that my "creations" are my own responsibility (hence my fear of "creations").

    ReplyDelete